Sunday, January 13, 2008

NEW YORK CITY, the Capital City of the WORLD


Last year, before coming to live here in Sydney, I went for a few days to New York City, my ex-boyfriend and ‘love of my life’ lives there so I decided to visit him for a few days before leaving the American continent.

I went in winter, so I found a whole chilly city full of snow and freezing wings. I got there after 3 days full of farewell parties and familiar reunions in Venezuela, but I wasn’t really sad, not because I was not going to miss my people, country and life style in Venezuela, but because I really love to travel, and I was really happy to be meeting again my ex-boyfriend and vacationing in NYC, the capital city of the world.

The first day we didn’t go out, I was quite tired with the trip and all the emotional days back in Venezuela; it was too cold outside anyway, so I didn’t feel like struggling with the cold; I’m from a tropical country that means that we don’t have different seasons during the year, only raining and droughty, so I’m not really into cold weathers.

Anyway, I didn’t have more than 4 days to stay over there, so that means that I didn’t have much time to travel all around the city, go to New Jersey, and of course, went out at night to different parties, however, I had a great time.

I love the cities at night; all those lights from different buildings coming from everywhere just tend to captivate me in a way really hard to explain. Caracas, my native city, is one of the most messy cities around the world, but at night I found it just beautiful. The same happened to me with NY; I love messy cities, where you need to struggle to get a sit in the train or spend hours stuck in the traffic trying to get to a place or to an appointment on time; that is NYC, a chaotic city with more than 8million people trying to live peacefully between them.

I was staying in the Bronx, but not like the Bronx in the movies, where you find only gangsters all around and people that you shouldn’t mess up with. It was a quite and nice place just crossing the Broadway Bridge. I was staying with a Dominican family, which is my ex-boyfriend’s family, so that made it even better. Dominicans have one of the most funniest Spanish accents ever, and they are, just like most of Venezuelans and Latin American people, really familiar and affectionate, so they treated me like another member of the family.

I went to almost all the tourists’ places, and I loved each and every one of them. I went to the Empire State building, Time Square, Rockefeller Centre, Staten Island Ferry, American Museum of National History, Central Park, Grand Central Terminal and even to the ground zero, where the world trade centre used to be located. What a big and amazing city. The Central Park’s lake was freeze; the Statue of Liberty, which I found one of the most smallest and disappointed statues ever, was closed so I just saw it from the Ferry; and one of those days I had the opportunity to watch the sunset from the top of the Rockefeller Tower.

I just have to say that once I went to Berlin I though that I had found the perfect city to live sometime in the future, but after I went to NYC, Berlin became just a second option. NYC definitively has my heart and I’m just looking forward to go back there, but this time, for good.

No comments: